Why is joda convert an optional dependency of joda-time 2.0?

Why is joda convert an optional dependency of joda-time 2.0?

Robert Elliot
Hi,

I just upgraded to joda time v2, and was unable to compile the following line of code:

Instant instant = new Instant();

It turns out you need joda convert on the compile classpath to use Instant.  Looking in the joda time pom it is listed as an optional dependency, so you don't get it pulled in as a transitive dependency, you have to add it manually.  If it's required to instantiate an Instant then it doesn't seem terribly optional to me?

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Why is joda convert an optional dependency of joda-time 2.0?

jodastephen
Are you using Java? Its just an annotation, and they are optional.

Stephen

On 7 September 2011 10:46, Robert Elliot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded to joda time v2, and was unable to compile the following line of code:
>
> Instant instant = new Instant();
>
> It turns out you need joda convert on the compile classpath to use Instant.  Looking in the joda time pom it is listed as an optional dependency, so you don't get it pulled in as a transitive dependency, you have to add it manually.  If it's required to instantiate an Instant then it doesn't seem terribly optional to me?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Re: Why is joda convert an optional dependency of joda-time 2.0?

Robert Elliot
No, I was using Scala - just tried it and it works fine in Java without joda convert on the classpath.  Apologies, I should have tested it properly in Java before raising this with a snippet of Java code - it hadn't occurred to me that scalac would make more of a fuss about things like this.