Updating the time zone data

Matthew McCawley

I would really like to use joda for calculating DST transitions, but because joda compiles the time zone information directly, I would either have to update the tzdata of both joda and the JDK whenever there is an update, or I would have to avoid Date/Calendar/TimeZone altogether. Unfortunately, our code base is very old and very large. Changing all instances of Date, Calendar, and TimeZone to joda methods would be daunting, to say the least, if not impossible due to resource constraints. Is there no way to use the JDK's tzdata in order to allow for a more gradual transition to joda? And if I'm not mistaken, isn't this also a problem for JSR-310?

Matthew McCawley

Re: Updating the time zone data

jodastephen
On 3 May 2012 17:39, Matthew McCawley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would really like to use joda for calculating DST transitions, but because
> joda compiles the time zone information directly, I would either have to
> update the tzdata of both joda and the JDK whenever there is an update, or I
> would have to avoid Date/Calendar/TimeZone altogether. Unfortunately, our
> code base is very old and very large. Changing all instances of Date,
> Calendar, and TimeZone to joda methods would be daunting, to say the least,
> if not impossible due to resource constraints. Is there no way to use the
> JDK's tzdata in order to allow for a more gradual transition to joda? And if
> I'm not mistaken, isn't this also a problem for JSR-310?

You could try to implement a Joda DateTimeZone on top of the JDK data,
but it would be hard work, as the JDK contains less raw data.

JSR-310 is likely to have a single set of time-zone files when
integrated into the JDK.

Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> wrote on 05/03/2012 06:11:36 PM:

> You could try to implement a Joda DateTimeZone on top of the JDK data,
> but it would be hard work, as the JDK contains less raw data.
>
> JSR-310 is likely to have a single set of time-zone files when
> integrated into the JDK.

Will those time zone files also be used for the old Date and Calendar classes?
Matthew

On 4 May 2012 14:33, Matthew McCawley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> wrote on 05/03/2012 06:11:36 PM:
>> You could try to implement a Joda DateTimeZone on top of the JDK data,
>> but it would be hard work, as the JDK contains less raw data.
>>
>> JSR-310 is likely to have a single set of time-zone files when
>> integrated into the JDK.
>
> Will those time zone files also be used for the old Date and Calendar
> classes?

Yes, for JDK 8 it is intended to have one set of data.