Publishing tzdata to Maven

Charles Oliver Nutter
Hello all!

For the JRuby project, we frequently want (or need) to test with more
recent timezone data. We have built various automated processes for
updating the timezone data in joda-time.

We have recently started a migration to a full Maven build, and as a
result we have found it easier to publish the precompiled tzdata as a
maven artifact org.jruby.joda-timezones. We are about to start pushing
these jars (containing just the data files) to central, but...it
seemed like this might be something more appropriate for the joda-time
project to do.

I know that JSR-301 is going to incorporate joda-time and *some*
timezone data, but even then it seems like it would be useful to
always have the latest tzdata precompiled and available in Maven.

So I'm offering up the pom.xml we've prepared with the thought that
you might be interested in handling the pushing of these artifacts. If
it would be better for us to push them ourselves, that's fine...but it
seems like it would be more generally useful as a joda-time project.

Our repository for this tzdata artifact is here:
https://github.com/jruby/joda-timezones

So, thoughts?

- Charlie

Re: Publishing tzdata to Maven

jodastephen
There is a desire from a number of people to get separate/faster
time-zone updates, but it comes down to who will push the updates to
maven central, how fast are they expected etc etc.

I'm reluctant to add additional work on my shoulders to maintain a
time-zone data jar file, even though its probably a good idea (it will
also need code changes to pickup the new data).

Nice pom btw to get the data.

Stephen

On 6 July 2013 22:51, Charles Oliver Nutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> For the JRuby project, we frequently want (or need) to test with more
> recent timezone data. We have built various automated processes for
> updating the timezone data in joda-time.
>
> We have recently started a migration to a full Maven build, and as a
> result we have found it easier to publish the precompiled tzdata as a
> maven artifact org.jruby.joda-timezones. We are about to start pushing
> these jars (containing just the data files) to central, but...it
> seemed like this might be something more appropriate for the joda-time
> project to do.
>
> I know that JSR-301 is going to incorporate joda-time and *some*
> timezone data, but even then it seems like it would be useful to
> always have the latest tzdata precompiled and available in Maven.
>
> So I'm offering up the pom.xml we've prepared with the thought that
> you might be interested in handling the pushing of these artifacts. If
> it would be better for us to push them ourselves, that's fine...but it
> seems like it would be more generally useful as a joda-time project.
>
> Our repository for this tzdata artifact is here:
> https://github.com/jruby/joda-timezones
>
> So, thoughts?
>
> - Charlie

Re: Publishing tzdata to Maven

Charles Oliver Nutter

We would be happy to keep up the artifcat as timezone data comes out, perhaps shared with others who already have push access to the joda-time groupId.

So, perhaps you can give us push rights and we will manage the artifact for now?

- Charlie (mobile)

On Jul 6, 2013 5:49 PM, "Stephen Colebourne" <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is a desire from a number of people to get separate/faster
time-zone updates, but it comes down to who will push the updates to
maven central, how fast are they expected etc etc.

I'm reluctant to add additional work on my shoulders to maintain a
time-zone data jar file, even though its probably a good idea (it will
also need code changes to pickup the new data).

Nice pom btw to get the data.

Stephen

On 6 July 2013 22:51, Charles Oliver Nutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> For the JRuby project, we frequently want (or need) to test with more
> recent timezone data. We have built various automated processes for
> updating the timezone data in joda-time.
>
> We have recently started a migration to a full Maven build, and as a
> result we have found it easier to publish the precompiled tzdata as a
> maven artifact org.jruby.joda-timezones. We are about to start pushing
> these jars (containing just the data files) to central, but...it
> seemed like this might be something more appropriate for the joda-time
> project to do.
>
> I know that JSR-301 is going to incorporate joda-time and *some*
> timezone data, but even then it seems like it would be useful to
> always have the latest tzdata precompiled and available in Maven.
>
> So I'm offering up the pom.xml we've prepared with the thought that
> you might be interested in handling the pushing of these artifacts. If
> it would be better for us to push them ourselves, that's fine...but it
> seems like it would be more generally useful as a joda-time project.
>
> Our repository for this tzdata artifact is here:
> https://github.com/jruby/joda-timezones
>
> So, thoughts?
>
> - Charlie

Re: Publishing tzdata to Maven

jodastephen
Sorry for the delay. I'm concerned that we do this right. What is
really needed is

- a time-zone data override jar file, similar to what you propose
- some mechanism for the override jar to replace the main time-zone
data if it is newer, and without any extra manual setup steps for the
user

How were you planning to use the new data files? They wouldn't be
picked up automatically. Or were you just going to rely on them being
earlier in the classpath...

Stephen

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for the delay. I'm concerned that we do this right. What is
> really needed is
>
> - a time-zone data override jar file, similar to what you propose
> - some mechanism for the override jar to replace the main time-zone
> data if it is newer, and without any extra manual setup steps for the
> user
>
> How were you planning to use the new data files? They wouldn't be
> picked up automatically. Or were you just going to rely on them being
> earlier in the classpath...

The latter. In the JRuby distribution, we shade it in before joda-time
(if we want to update tzdata...not doing that by default right now). I
would expect anyone else using it would either do the same or organize
classpath to pick up the other files.

I think the timezone data artifact should be as simple as possible.
Are you contemplating a setup where the data fles are versioned and
some property magic specifies the data files to load?

On 10 July 2013 16:25, Charles Oliver Nutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The latter. In the JRuby distribution, we shade it in before joda-time
> (if we want to update tzdata...not doing that by default right now). I
> would expect anyone else using it would either do the same or organize
> classpath to pick up the other files.
>
> I think the timezone data artifact should be as simple as possible.
> Are you contemplating a setup where the data fles are versioned and
> some property magic specifies the data files to load?

Simpler that that I think. All time-zone data jars contain a file
named joda-time-tzdata or some such. Then use Java to enumerate all
resources matching that resource name. Whichever resource has the
highest version number is the one to load. (where the version number
is the content of joda-time-tzdata.)

Re: Publishing tzdata to Maven

Charles Oliver Nutter
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Stephen Colebourne
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Simpler that that I think. All time-zone data jars contain a file
> named joda-time-tzdata or some such. Then use Java to enumerate all
> resources matching that resource name. Whichever resource has the
> highest version number is the one to load. (where the version number
> is the content of joda-time-tzdata.)

Well, that's simple enough. Pick a name, I'll prototype and implement
it in joda-timezones, and if it looks good we can move to the next
step.

Perhaps someone could spin up a repo in JodaOrg where I can start
pushing this stuff?

On 10 July 2013 17:11, Charles Oliver Nutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Stephen Colebourne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Simpler that that I think. All time-zone data jars contain a file
>> named joda-time-tzdata or some such. Then use Java to enumerate all
>> resources matching that resource name. Whichever resource has the
>> highest version number is the one to load. (where the version number
>> is the content of joda-time-tzdata.)
>
> Well, that's simple enough. Pick a name, I'll prototype and implement
> it in joda-timezones, and if it looks good we can move to the next
> step.

I think the resource should be "org.joda.time.tz.tzdb-version.txt"
It would contain the version, such as "2013c".
That would link to

> Perhaps someone could spin up a repo in JodaOrg where I can start
> pushing this stuff?

You should be able to fork JodaOrg/joda-time on GitHub to your own
namespace and work there. That works because you'll need to edit
joda-time itself to do the resource file searching.

If you need a separate repo to fork from for the time zone db file
publishing, I can sort that.

thanks for the help

Re: Publishing tzdata to Maven

Charles Oliver Nutter
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Stephen Colebourne
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the resource should be "org.joda.time.tz.tzdb-version.txt"
> It would contain the version, such as "2013c".
> That would link to

Got it.

>> Perhaps someone could spin up a repo in JodaOrg where I can start
>> pushing this stuff?
>
> You should be able to fork JodaOrg/joda-time on GitHub to your own
> namespace and work there. That works because you'll need to edit
> joda-time itself to do the resource file searching.
>
> If you need a separate repo to fork from for the time zone db file
> publishing, I can sort that.

Probably not necessary. If I need to have a separate repo for the
tzdata artifact (for maven purposes, probably) I'll let you know.

- Charlie

Re: Publishing tzdata to Maven

Charles Oliver Nutter
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Stephen Colebourne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think the resource should be "org.joda.time.tz.tzdb-version.txt"
>> It would contain the version, such as "2013c".
>> That would link to
>
> Got it.

A question arises...

I assume we want the compiled data to be structured the same as it is
now, in separate files. So then...once we've found the most recent
tzdb-version file, how to proceed?

* Data files tagged with version as well; load data files + version appended.
* Data files named as today; use tzdata-version.txt classloader URL
base to load them.
* Something else.

>> You should be able to fork JodaOrg/joda-time on GitHub to your own
>> namespace and work there. That works because you'll need to edit
>> joda-time itself to do the resource file searching.
>>
>> If you need a separate repo to fork from for the time zone db file
>> publishing, I can sort that.

On second thought...in the interest of time, I'd like to get JRuby off
the current tzdata setup and on to the actual artifact. Can we sort
out a repo, artifact, and release for the data first, and I'll work in
the smart loading after that?

On 10 July 2013 18:21, Charles Oliver Nutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A question arises...
>
> I assume we want the compiled data to be structured the same as it is
> now, in separate files. So then...once we've found the most recent
> tzdb-version file, how to proceed?
>
> * Data files tagged with version as well; load data files + version appended.
> * Data files named as today; use tzdata-version.txt classloader URL
> base to load them.
> * Something else.

I think it may be best to have a zip file tagged with the version
inside the jar file. So the jar file only contains the text file and
the zip file.

>>> You should be able to fork JodaOrg/joda-time on GitHub to your own
>>> namespace and work there. That works because you'll need to edit
>>> joda-time itself to do the resource file searching.
>>>
>>> If you need a separate repo to fork from for the time zone db file
>>> publishing, I can sort that.
>
> On second thought...in the interest of time, I'd like to get JRuby off
> the current tzdata setup and on to the actual artifact. Can we sort
> out a repo, artifact, and release for the data first, and I'll work in
> the smart loading after that?

groupId: joda-time
artifactId: joda-time-tzdb
version: tzdb version number

The trouble is that I only want the new format of jar suitable for
smart loading to be pushed there, rather than a jar that overrides on
the classpath.

Oh, and only I can push to sonatype OSS at the moment.

Re: Publishing tzdata to Maven

Charles Oliver Nutter
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Stephen Colebourne
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it may be best to have a zip file tagged with the version
> inside the jar file. So the jar file only contains the text file and
> the zip file.

That sounds good. So...

joda-timezone-2013z.jar would be:

/org.joda.time.tzdb-verzion.txt OR /org/joda/time/tzdb-version.txt? (I
prefer latter, or in tz namespace)
/org.joda.time.tzdb-2013z.zip OR /org/joda/time/tzdb-2013z.zip?
(latter, or in tz namespace)

version, opens up zip from CL resources and loads TZ data. Failing
that, it loads shipped data from tz.data namespace (or should we
structure that the same way with the same .txt?)

> groupId: joda-time
> artifactId: joda-time-tzdb
> version: tzdb version number
>
> The trouble is that I only want the new format of jar suitable for
> smart loading to be pushed there, rather than a jar that overrides on
> the classpath.
>
> Oh, and only I can push to sonatype OSS at the moment.

I can structure the new jar as agreed (above, with clarifications) and
prepare it. You can add me to sonatype or push it yourself once I have
it ready.

The scanning is going to be less complex if we have a versioned .zip
to load tzdata from, so it may not take as long to impl (I'm just
juggling a few things at once right now).

On 11 July 2013 04:33, Charles Oliver Nutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That sounds good. So...
>
> joda-timezone-2013z.jar would be:

joda-time-tzdb-2013z.jar

> /org.joda.time.tzdb-verzion.txt OR /org/joda/time/tzdb-version.txt? (I
> prefer latter, or in tz namespace)
> /org.joda.time.tzdb-2013z.zip OR /org/joda/time/tzdb-2013z.zip?
> (latter, or in tz namespace)

/org/joda/time/tz/tzdb-version.txt
/org/joda/time/tz/tzdb-2013z.zip

> version, opens up zip from CL resources and loads TZ data.

Yes

>Failing
> that, it loads shipped data from tz.data namespace (or should we
> structure that the same way with the same .txt?)

Ideally, the data shipped in Joda-Time itself would just be the same
format as that in the separate tzdv jar with its own tzdb-version.txt
and zip.

> I can structure the new jar as agreed (above, with clarifications) and
> prepare it. You can add me to sonatype or push it yourself once I have
> it ready.
>
> The scanning is going to be less complex if we have a versioned .zip
> to load tzdata from, so it may not take as long to impl (I'm just
> juggling a few things at once right now).

Sounds good.
thanks