Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

Benoit Xhenseval-2
Hi

Sorry about the previous email which seems to have attached itself to a previous thread.  Not sure how..

I've noticed that it is required to recompile the joda contrib hibernate for Hibernate 3.6.x
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5065367/joda-time-datetime-in-pojo-with-hibernate-support

I have checked out the code but I am unable to compile so with Maven 3.. it keeps saying that the org.hibernate hibernate-core-3.6.3.Final.pom is not in my local repo (but it is! Honest...) For once, it is failing me...

Would anyone be kind enough to share the compiled joda-hibernate-1.3-SNAPSHOT ??? with Hibernate 3.6.3 as a dependency?

MANY thanks!

Benoit

--
IMPORTANT NOTICE This communication contains information that is considered confidential and may also be privileged . It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error please return it to the sender and delete the original.

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

Chris Pheby-2

Hi Benoit,

Can you use my usertypes?  http://usertype.sourceforge.net/ These work with Hibernate 3.6.x (and earlier)

Cheers Chris

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

Benoit Xhenseval-2
Hi Chris

Thanks, it was mentioned in the StackOverflow.com answer and I have started to look at that project and it looks quite good.

I was hoping to keep the 'official' Joda version though...at least for now.

I have just found the issue: Maven 3!

I'm using Maven3 which is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for Maven 2.2.1...but in this case it does not seem to be able to find the remote repositories that I'm specifying.. weird... I have no explanation for this at the moment..

I know that Stephen will despair and curse maven as usual but... we should remove the hardcoded bits (like the location on the compiler!) in the pom and make it compatible with m3....

So for the time being I reverted to maven 2.2.1 and updated the pom to use 3.6.3.Final and it seems ok

 Kind regards

Benoit

On 24 Apr 2011, at 17:25, Chris Pheby wrote:

Hi Benoit,

Can you use my usertypes?  http://usertype.sourceforge.net/ These work with Hibernate 3.6.x (and earlier)

Cheers Chris

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

James Richardson-2
Perhaps you might have more luck discussing maven's numerous failings on a maven mailing list?

pom pom-pom-pom pom!

Good luck!

James

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

Benoit Xhenseval-2
Hi James,

Maven works for me.

It is not without some headaches but the benefits outweigh the pain in
my opinion but enough about maven.

I think that my question was valid and related to the Joda contrib
project which, for some reason, does not behaves as a standard maven
project. If has some hardcoded path to the compiler (assuming a
windows machine).

I did raise this issue in Dec 09 but that is still there. Other
suggestions were also made at that point but they do not seem to have
made it to the svn repo.

It is great to have an official hibernate binding for Joda time but it
seems that from time to time it needs rebuilding when hibernate
upgrades.

Kind regards

Benoit

-----

On 24 Apr 2011, at 18:04, James Richardson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps you might have more luck discussing maven's numerous failings on a maven mailing list?
>
> pom pom-pom-pom pom!
>
> Good luck!
>
> James

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

jodastephen
Attached to this email is (or should be) a version of
joda-time-hibernate based on the latest svn.

I've updated the dependencies (Hibernate 3.6.0, Joda-Time 1.6.2) but
made them "provided" scope in maven. That should mean that you specify
your Joda-Time/Hibernate yourself rather than this project requiring
them.

I've also removed the Windows build elements (as I've done with other
Joda projects).

You do need the JBoss repo loaded in your settings.xml to build though.

Code wise, I simply changed Hibernate.XXX to StandardBasicTypes.XXX.

All tests pass, but I don't actively use this, or trust the tests,
thus I need someone to confirm that *this* jar file works for them.
Once someone confirms this, I will release it as v1.3.

Stephen

joda-time-hibernate-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar (39K) Download Attachment

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

Chris Pheby-2
Hi Stephen,

I can confirm this for you. Usertype uses Joda Time Hibernate in its unit tests to verify compatibility.

So, I built this from source, then upgraded the dependency. Tests failed, so upgraded hibernate dependency to 3.6 and the tests now pass.

Only problem is getting Hibernate into Maven Central in order to release (usertype uses reflection currently when running with 3.6 for this reason). It looks like JBoss are looking at it (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBBUILD-597). A slightly offtopic but related question, are you planning to publish any threeten builds into central also?

Regards Chris

Attached to this email is (or should be) a version of joda-time-hibernate based on the latest svn.

I've updated the dependencies (Hibernate 3.6.0, Joda-Time 1.6.2) but made them "provided" scope in maven. That should mean that you specify your Joda-Time/Hibernate yourself rather than this project requiring them.

I've also removed the Windows build elements (as I've done with other Joda projects).

You do need the JBoss repo loaded in your settings.xml to build though.

Code wise, I simply changed Hibernate.XXX to StandardBasicTypes.XXX.

All tests pass, but I don't actively use this, or trust the tests, thus I need someone to confirm that *this* jar file works for them.
Once someone confirms this, I will release it as v1.3.

Stephen

On 24 April 2011 18:15, Benoit Xhenseval <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Maven works for me.
>
> It is not without some headaches but the benefits outweigh the pain in
> my opinion but enough about maven.
>
> I think that my question was valid and related to the Joda contrib
> project which, for some reason, does not behaves as a standard maven
> project. If has some hardcoded path to the compiler (assuming a
> windows machine).
>
> I did raise this issue in Dec 09 but that is still there. Other
> suggestions were also made at that point but they do not seem to have
> made it to the svn repo.
>
> It is great to have an official hibernate binding for Joda time but it
> seems that from time to time it needs rebuilding when hibernate
> upgrades.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Benoit
>

> -----
> Important Notice
> This communication contains information that is considered
> confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use
> of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s)
> please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this
> communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may
> be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error please
> return it to the sender and delete the original
>
> On 24 Apr 2011, at 18:04, James Richardson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you might have more luck discussing maven's numerous failings on a maven mailing list?
>>
>> pom pom-pom-pom pom!
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> James

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

jodastephen
Great :-)

But thats a good point about the release. Basically means the answer
will be "compile from svn for Hibernate 3.6" until Jboss and Sonatype
sort things out.

Stephen

On 8 May 2011 18:28, Chris Pheby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> I can confirm this for you. Usertype uses Joda Time Hibernate in its unit tests to verify compatibility.
>
> So, I built this from source, then upgraded the dependency. Tests failed, so upgraded hibernate dependency to 3.6 and the tests now pass.
>
> Only problem is getting Hibernate into Maven Central in order to release (usertype uses reflection currently when running with 3.6 for this reason). It looks like JBoss are looking at it (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBBUILD-597). A slightly offtopic but related question, are you planning to publish any threeten builds into central also?
>
> Regards Chris

John Franey

Stephen, Chris,

Sorry for jumping in here, but I too would like to see a release of 1.3, if it is ready.  I don't see why you ought to wait for jboss artifacts to be uploaded to maven central.  I think you will be waiting a long time for jboss and sonatype to sort things out.  jboss is running its own maven repository, now, and is certainly as legitimate a repository as maven central.  We load from this repository at my job.  I think you can do the same and then get over this bump, and release the software, right?

See:

and

Thanks,
John

On 8 May 2011 18:28, Chris Pheby <chris@...> wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> I can confirm this for you. Usertype uses Joda Time Hibernate in its unit tests to verify compatibility.
>
> So, I built this from source, then upgraded the dependency. Tests failed, so upgraded hibernate dependency to 3.6 and the tests now pass.
>
> Only problem is getting Hibernate into Maven Central in order to release (usertype uses reflection currently when running with 3.6 for this reason). It looks like JBoss are looking at it (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBBUILD-597). A slightly offtopic but related question, are you planning to publish any threeten builds into central also?
>
> Regards Chris

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

James Richardson-2
Please - this mailing list is about joda time - a super handy date
library - not about some crappy poorly performing, insecure build
system.

Recently we have seen a lot of mail about maven this and that - really
it is OT. Perhaps there is scope for a special mailing list about
pointless build systems and their own eternal infighting?

Maybe if you use maven at work you should set up a nexus, and load
whatever software you need onto it?

ta.

James

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

AFAIK, you cannot load to maven central unless all dependencies are
also present. I might give it a go, as I've made hibernate optional
now, so the rule might not kick in...

Right now, however, I'm in the middle of git conversion.

Stephen

On 13 May 2011 21:31, John Franey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephen, Chris,
> Sorry for jumping in here, but I too would like to see a release of 1.3, if
> it is ready.  I don't see why you ought to wait for jboss artifacts to be
> uploaded to maven central.  I think you will be waiting a long time for
> jboss and sonatype to sort things out.  jboss is running its own maven
> repository, now, and is certainly as legitimate a repository as maven
> central.  We load from this repository at my job.  I think you can do the
> same and then get over this bump, and release the software, right?
> See:
> https://repository.jboss.org/nexus
> and
> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/MavenGettingStarted-Users
> Thanks,
> John
>

>> Great :-)
>>
>> But thats a good point about the release. Basically means the answer
>> will be "compile from svn for Hibernate 3.6" until Jboss and Sonatype
>> sort things out.
>>
>> Stephen
>>

>> On 8 May 2011 18:28, Chris Pheby <chris@...> wrote:
>> > Hi Stephen,
>> >
>> > I can confirm this for you. Usertype uses Joda Time Hibernate in its
>> > unit tests to verify compatibility.
>> >
>> > So, I built this from source, then upgraded the dependency. Tests
>> > failed, so upgraded hibernate dependency to 3.6 and the tests now pass.
>> >
>> > Only problem is getting Hibernate into Maven Central in order to release
>> > (usertype uses reflection currently when running with 3.6 for this reason).
>> > It looks like JBoss are looking at it
>> > (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBBUILD-597). A slightly offtopic but
>> > related question, are you planning to publish any threeten builds into
>> > central also?
>> >
>> > Regards Chris

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

Tauren Mills
I agree, that was a completely unexpected response! Questions about
how to include and build joda-time should be welcome on this list.
Statements like that can only harm the community, scare off newbies,
and cause friction between users.

Just because some people feel maven is a crappy build system doesn't
change the fact that MANY projects rely on maven to build. There are
many of us that don't enjoy using maven, but still have to for various
reasons.

Having joda-time available in a public maven repository (be it
central, jboss, or even self-hosted) makes it significantly easier to
include in these projects and reduces the barrier to entry. In my
opinion, supporting maven makes complete sense for open source java
projects, especially if the project may be included by larger open
source projects.

Just my 2c.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:27 PM, John Franey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Whoa....Totally not expected.
>
> John
>

> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM, James Richardson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Please - this mailing list is about joda time - a super handy date
>> library - not about some crappy poorly performing, insecure build
>> system.
>>
>> Recently we have seen a lot of mail about maven this and that - really
>> it is OT. Perhaps there is scope for a special mailing list about
>> pointless build systems and their own eternal infighting?
>>
>> Maybe if you use maven at work you should set up a nexus, and load
>> whatever software you need onto it?
>>
>> ta.
>>
>> James

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

Tauren Mills
Also, I applaud the move to github! Thanks Stephen!

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Tauren Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree, that was a completely unexpected response! Questions about
> how to include and build joda-time should be welcome on this list.
> Statements like that can only harm the community, scare off newbies,
> and cause friction between users.
>
> Just because some people feel maven is a crappy build system doesn't
> change the fact that MANY projects rely on maven to build. There are
> many of us that don't enjoy using maven, but still have to for various
> reasons.
>
> Having joda-time available in a public maven repository (be it
> central, jboss, or even self-hosted) makes it significantly easier to
> include in these projects and reduces the barrier to entry. In my
> opinion, supporting maven makes complete sense for open source java
> projects, especially if the project may be included by larger open
> source projects.
>
> Just my 2c.
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:27 PM, John Franey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Whoa....Totally not expected.
>>
>> John
>>

>> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM, James Richardson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Please - this mailing list is about joda time - a super handy date
>>> library - not about some crappy poorly performing, insecure build
>>> system.
>>>
>>> Recently we have seen a lot of mail about maven this and that - really
>>> it is OT. Perhaps there is scope for a special mailing list about
>>> pointless build systems and their own eternal infighting?
>>>
>>> Maybe if you use maven at work you should set up a nexus, and load
>>> whatever software you need onto it?
>>>
>>> ta.
>>>
>>> James

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

John Franey
See below:

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> wrote:
AFAIK, you cannot load to maven central unless all dependencies are
also present.

Apparently, Sonatype hosts a service to upload through to maven central.  I did not find there such a requirement you describe.  Looks like there are some other requirements on the pom, though.:  http://nexus.sonatype.org/oss-repository-hosting.html

I might give it a go, as I've made hibernate optional
now, so the rule might not kick in...

Right now, however, I'm in the middle of git conversion.

Yes.  Please don't let this interrupt the git conversion.

I'm asking for a non-snapshot of 1.3 because we are upgrading to jboss6 and 1.2 throws exception in that runtime.  Maven won't allow a 'release' founded on 'snapshot' dependencies, a policy I agree with, so I won't be able to release our app until non-snapshot is in hand.  Of course, I can rig something on our side without depending on your time, but based on the email (far) above, I saw a minor technicality preventing a release, and posted to keep it from getting derailed.  Not a problem, and thanks.

Stephen

On 13 May 2011 21:31, John Franey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephen, Chris,
> Sorry for jumping in here, but I too would like to see a release of 1.3, if
> it is ready.  I don't see why you ought to wait for jboss artifacts to be
> uploaded to maven central.  I think you will be waiting a long time for
> jboss and sonatype to sort things out.  jboss is running its own maven
> repository, now, and is certainly as legitimate a repository as maven
> central.  We load from this repository at my job.  I think you can do the
> same and then get over this bump, and release the software, right?
> See:
> https://repository.jboss.org/nexus
> and
> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/MavenGettingStarted-Users
> Thanks,
> John
>

>> Great :-)
>>
>> But thats a good point about the release. Basically means the answer
>> will be "compile from svn for Hibernate 3.6" until Jboss and Sonatype
>> sort things out.
>>
>> Stephen
>>

>> On 8 May 2011 18:28, Chris Pheby <chris@...> wrote:
>> > Hi Stephen,
>> >
>> > I can confirm this for you. Usertype uses Joda Time Hibernate in its
>> > unit tests to verify compatibility.
>> >
>> > So, I built this from source, then upgraded the dependency. Tests
>> > failed, so upgraded hibernate dependency to 3.6 and the tests now pass.
>> >
>> > Only problem is getting Hibernate into Maven Central in order to release
>> > (usertype uses reflection currently when running with 3.6 for this reason).
>> > It looks like JBoss are looking at it
>> > (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBBUILD-597). A slightly offtopic but
>> > related question, are you planning to publish any threeten builds into
>> > central also?
>> >
>> > Regards Chris

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

Chris Pheby-2
Hi John

The detail on the requirement is here: http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/03/why-external-repos-are-being-phased-out-of-central/

Someone could upload Hibernate using the third party upload service whilst we wait for Jboss?

Thanks Chris

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 4:17 AM, Chris Pheby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Someone could upload Hibernate using the third party upload service whilst we wait for Jboss?

A requirement regarding the presence of dependencies in maven central is not mentioned or implied by either of these links.  Then, Hibernate does not have to be uploaded to maven central before joda-time-hibernate can be uploaded.

Thanks Chris

> [...]

>> sort things out.
>>
>> Stephen
>>

>> On 8 May 2011 18:28, Chris Pheby <chris@...> wrote:
>> > Hi Stephen,
>> >
>> > I can confirm this for you. Usertype uses Joda Time Hibernate in its
>> > unit tests to verify compatibility.
>> >
>> > So, I built this from source, then upgraded the dependency. Tests
>> > failed, so upgraded hibernate dependency to 3.6 and the tests now pass.
>> >
>> > Only problem is getting Hibernate into Maven Central in order to release
>> > (usertype uses reflection currently when running with 3.6 for this reason).
>> > It looks like JBoss are looking at it
>> > (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBBUILD-597). A slightly offtopic but
>> > related question, are you planning to publish any threeten builds into
>> > central also?
>> >
>> > Regards Chris

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

For what it is worth, the org.hibernate artifacts are now being synced from JBoss into Maven central, so you will no longer need the repository definition for JBoss repository.

Regards,

Chris

> [...]

>> sort things out.
>>
>> Stephen
>>

>> On 8 May 2011 18:28, Chris Pheby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Stephen,
>> >
>> > I can confirm this for you. Usertype uses Joda Time Hibernate in its
>> > unit tests to verify compatibility.
>> >
>> > So, I built this from source, then upgraded the dependency. Tests
>> > failed, so upgraded hibernate dependency to 3.6 and the tests now pass.
>> >
>> > Only problem is getting Hibernate into Maven Central in order to release
>> > (usertype uses reflection currently when running with 3.6 for this reason).
>> > It looks like JBoss are looking at it
>> > (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBBUILD-597). A slightly offtopic but
>> > related question, are you planning to publish any threeten builds into
>> > central also?
>> >
>> > Regards Chris

Re: Joda & Hibernate 3.6.3 -> Need a compiled Jar

Thats good to know, thanks
Stephen