Is there a 'interval' class that remembers when it started and when it stopped?

Is there a 'interval' class that remembers when it started and when it stopped?

A. Rick Anderson
I am looking for a class that would seem to me to be a basic and
recurring need, but I am not finding it in JODA.  What I am looking for
is a class that captures the notion of a specific, real-world, time
interval.  That is to say, a class that:
1) Has a specific DateTime field that defines when it started,
2) Has a specific DateTime field that defines when it ended,
3) Implements java.lang.Comparable.

It would be nice if it could also provide:
1) the intelligent grasp of time passage that is in Period,
2) the ability to report its relationship to other "specific intervals",
in much the same way that Joda's Interval class can do with other Intervals.

I can write such a class, based on the current API in JODA, but it seems
that this would be an obvious and highly reusable component, so I am
wondering if I am just missing it in the current API?
If it isn't there already, if I implemented such a class, what would it
take to get it included in future releases?

Possible applications: work-shifts, marriage dates, time
someone/something was at a particular location, career length, political
time in office, beginning/end of wars, previous flights of an air-plane,
time when a component was in service etc.

--
A. Rick Anderson
540-347-0311

Re: Is there a 'interval' class that remembers when it started and when it stopped?

jodastephen
Well Joda-Time Interval class stores two DateTime objects, so surely
basically fulfills your definition. It can't be comparable as there is
no suitable definition.

If Interval isn't suitable, then there isn't any other class available
in the library.

Stephen

On 3 November 2011 20:34, A. Rick Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am looking for a class that would seem to me to be a basic and
> recurring need, but I am not finding it in JODA.  What I am looking for
> is a class that captures the notion of a specific, real-world, time
> interval.  That is to say, a class that:
> 1) Has a specific DateTime field that defines when it started,
> 2) Has a specific DateTime field that defines when it ended,
> 3) Implements java.lang.Comparable.
>
> It would be nice if it could also provide:
> 1) the intelligent grasp of time passage that is in Period,
> 2) the ability to report its relationship to other "specific intervals",
> in much the same way that Joda's Interval class can do with other Intervals.
>
> I can write such a class, based on the current API in JODA, but it seems
> that this would be an obvious and highly reusable component, so I am
> wondering if I am just missing it in the current API?
> If it isn't there already, if I implemented such a class, what would it
> take to get it included in future releases?
>
> Possible applications: work-shifts, marriage dates, time
> someone/something was at a particular location, career length, political
> time in office, beginning/end of wars, previous flights of an air-plane,
> time when a component was in service etc.
>
> --
> A. Rick Anderson
> 540-347-0311

Re: Is there a 'interval' class that remembers when it started and when it stopped?

A. Rick Anderson
Thank-you for the pointer.  I looked over the API for the JODA Interval class.  When reading the docs, I somehow missed the methods that Interval inherits from AbstractInterval and ReadableInterval.  Consequently, Interval didn't seem suitable because the concrete class Interval doesn't contain methods such as "getStart" and "getEnd".  Obviously, once you include the methods that it inherits, it has everything that I am looking for except being Comparable.  Mia Culpa!

I would disagree (mildly) with the assertion that there is not a suitable definition for Interval being Comparable.  I believe that the problem is not that there isn't a suitable definition; rather the problem is that there are at least four suitable definitions that come to mind; all of which are defensible, and different users would argue vehemently for their favorite choice:
The four that come to mind are: StartDate, EndDate, millisecond length of interval, and a combination of the first two.

Example:
If ( getStart() != other.getStart() ) { // returns the difference of the starting date
    return( other.getStart().getMillis() - getStart().getMillis() );

} else { // returns zero[equal] if the end_dates and the start_dates are the same
    return( other.getEnd().getMillis() - getEnd().getMillis() );
}